Why run with the crowd when you can run around in circles?

Monday, August 09, 2010

Farewell Old Friends


I had the most delicious dream last night. I was aboard my anchored boat, and through an open porthole, could see my love’s gray steel boat anchored right next to mine. In the dream, each morning I awoke, day after day, and there he was, still beside me. Plus, my boat had a brand new engine in it!

When I started to awaken into the real world this morning, I fought to stay asleep to keep the dream alive. But alas, daylight reality entered, and I had to admit that dream was blown long ago.

But dreams do have meaning.

I purchased my last pair of sandals in 2007 at a Key West dive shop, while my love browsed the spear gun selection. Could that have been a hint of foreshadowing, a sign of what was to come not long after, when our relationship took a dive and I fled?

I wish he had harpooned me and reeled me back in.

Regardless, those aged, well worn sandals should never have been in this summer’s wardrobe. But there they were, in all their holey bottomed, strap failing glory, because I had been unable to locate any suitable replacements. Until today, when simply passing a storefront window, there were exactly the sandals I’d been waiting for all summer.

I just hope that pitching the old sandals into the rubbish bin and getting new ones has no meaning whatsoever.

3 comments:

1dozenraw said...

Wanting to get harpooned in order to continue a relationship that has just taken a dive might warrant some (self)examination. Ask me how I know this sometime. Anyway, hope the sandals don't hurt your feet. That might be just too much to have to live with. Good to have you posting again. Thought you might have left the auditorium.

Kit Walker said...

My brain left the building a long time ago, and this summer, my body followed it out into the sunshine that I didn’t get to play in last year.

Haven't spent much time indoors all summer!

Self examination is what led me to the conviction that in that particular instance, I needed harpooning.

Those new sandals are awesome; I can bounce right through all the ticks! And can probably kick some ass with them too, if the mood strikes.

1dozenraw said...

I'm thinking more "outside" is very good for a gal like you. I'm happy for you. I'll bet you weren't just standing still out on the front lawn either. Kick a tick's ass when you are in the mood. Best outside weather is coming up. Being a creature of the Caribbean this warm weather may fit you better than it fits me. Early autumn is my time. I've been busy being a new Grampa twice (a third arriving in October), visiting kids and grandkids in Santa Monica and western MA. Also been interacting with the medical industrial complex, much to my dismay. Can't be helped, but I had nothing wrong with me until I got a full physical (and insurance too, fortunately). Oh well... one day at a time. Say Hi to The Donald... I'll get up there eventually. I need some guidance on re-wiring my Moto Guzzi LeMans and need to talk with Don and Steve. Anyway... bye for now. Keep your head where your feet are (in your new sandals of course).